Burmese Chicken Curry
The following recipes allow you to try your hand at some delicious Burmese home-cooking.
2 1/2 pounds chicken
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
3 teaspoons dried garlic chips *
3/4 cup oil
3 medium tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon grass powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger powder
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped finely
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon fish sauce
*Can substitute with real garlic
· Chop chicken into small pieces; rub with salt, turmeric, and ginger powder.
· Soak garlic chips in 2teaspoons water.
· Heat oil. Put in onion and garlic and fry well over low heat. Add chili powder, stir a minute; add chicken, raise heat, stir well and cover.
· When chicken starts to brown, lower heat, stir, and continue frying as long as it does not stick. When it starts to stick, put in 1/2 cup water, stir, cover, and let simmer.
· When about half done, squeeze in pulp of tomato and add fish sauce to taste. Stir in lemon grass powder. Cover and cook till tender.
· Stir till done, with clear oil separating out on top, thick essence below, and curry a finished brown.